Thursday, February 6, 2014

House Projects-Bedroom Shuffling and Big Boy Room

My childhood room. Raging 80's awesomeness. That's my Aunt and Uncle probably spoiling me rotten.

My son still sleeps in a crib. (And has his BB AKA pacifier) But he only gets it at night to sleep. oh, and naps. oops.
He will be 3 in March and has not been potty trained and loves his crib. I kind of thought I would be pregnant at this point which would give me the incentive to get him in a big boy bed and so I could decide what type of round robin we would do with the guest/kids rooms upstairs but since I'm still knocking back the bourbon here is what I'm thinking.....

F's current room
 (These were taken in July 2011). I finally found the twin to this bookcase and just need to paint it. It is currently on the other side of the Daybed (We will probably sell the Daybed if anyone is interested, it has a rail you can put in it to prevent toddlers from falling off)



This room is right beside ours. Our upstairs layout is a hallway with 2 bedrooms on each side and a guest bath in the middle. The master has its own TINY bathroom. I would prefer to have the guest room beside us since it is used the least, and if  (when) we have another kid I would make it a guest room/nursery combo.

D's current room to become F's big boy room
Sorry for iPhone pics

My stepson will always have his own room. He loves his room here especially since we added curtains and put the tempurpedic topper on his bed (It was too hot for ours). He closes the curtains at night and sleeps almost as late as his Dad! 
I think I am going to move him to what is the current guest room because 1. It has the huge gun safe in the closet. I would feel more comfortable with the oldest kid having this in their room (the safe is locked). and 2. There is a door to access the half attic. Again, only something I think the oldest kid could handle. So I would like to move him over there. This wouldn't require much but would need to repaint. What color? His walls are white now. He has Navy and white bedding and navy curtains. He loves all things Karate and loves Xbox. Maybe frame a few maps of Japan??

Current Guest Room to become D's Room

This will become D's room. I love love love this green and the curtains were a gift from an Upholsterer in Florida who said his client didn't like the ruffle. Free Manuel Canovas curtains? Yes please!!!! I could pretty much move all this furniture to the hopefully new nursery/guest room combo and put the Crib in front of the window. That way if we have guests in town the baby can come sleep in our room and the guests still have a spot. Or if D is here he can bunk up with F in his big boy room twin beds and his room can be used.

Future Big Boy Room ideas

If you have read Julia's blog you can tell she and I have very similar tastes. I want it good looking but fun. I want it to represent my sons favorite things but don't want CARS wallpaper. I'm starting to see rooms that are too grown up and I don't think that is fair to kids. Let their rooms be silly and fun! (But not tacky)

First I'm pretty sure I want twin beds. I've begged my Dad to give up the ones I had in my room but he won't budge. (My parents house would be ideal for bunk beds! Right Jackie?!)

Next I have these two paintings by Mary Anne McCarley of Pawleys Island. 

The dark frames don't do the paintings justice so I'm thinking of having them reframed with white and light blue mats. What do you think? Gold frames? Silver? Lighter Wood?

So here are the items I'm searching for:
Twin Beds or make the headboards. (M made ours)
Good looking Bedding. I like what Caycee did in her son Carson's room.
Dresser (His current one will stay in nursery/guest room
Nightstand in between beds
Swing arm lamps?

And here is some Inspiration.....

Love this for D's room. I would add more boy touches but still pretty enough for guests.

 Love Buffalo Check. Great wall color..but needs more boy touches.

Perfection. Again...needs some more youthful touches.

 Love, but I can't do the tucked in bedding. That would be a pain in the ass.

 Bedding perfection and love the lamps. But I think its safer to attach them to the wall.

Bedding gorgeousness. I have that mirror and I think there is a ship painting in my parent's attic. My mother in law has a huge ship painting I am in love with! I'm assuming that's a Dash and Albert and it looks great here. Not matchy-matchy just clean and preppy.

 Love this room. How could you not smile in here? 

 A tad girly but i LOVE the all white bedding with just a pop of color in the boudoir pillow and pompom blanket. 

 Definitely preppy, maybe for D or F. Screams Fuck yeah America!

 This room is a tad Eyore-ish but love the blankets at the end. 

 LOVE LOVE LOVE this shared room by Holly Mathis. And she is winning with the easy-to-make-up bed plan.

 This room kicks ass in every way possible. I go back and forth between bright and crazy and dark and outdoorsy. This is a happy room for a kid and that is how kid rooms should be! Maybe I do this to the current nursery/future guest room combo nursery? I think this is Meg Braff but can't remember.

 Could be a cool palatte for a teenage boy.

 Love the Bamboo shade and the art above the beds. I used to get my Bamboos at Home Depot and they are gone! Any source ideas? I need to replace one in the kitchen and one for the TV room.

 Golf and Labs....my husband's two favorite things.

 Love the mix of blue and white. 

 Rug under each bed?

 Nice clean bedding....

 Most gorgeous bedding ever. But big boy appropriate???

 Great design by Opal Design Group.

 Its official...I'm bedding obsessed.
Drink for everytime I say bedding. Start the post over.

 Cute. A tad too theme oriented but love the wall color. (And the damn bedding)

 Love all of this. Buffalo check, killer headboards, pretty nightstand. I don't think we can make those ourselves though....we are stuck with rectangular shapes around these non DIY parts.

 Not a huge fan of the bed frames but it doesn't matter with the....wait for it......great bedding! (drink) And this bedding (drink) doesn't even look that expensive. Looks like a twin coverlet set with some add-ons.

 I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get this map. I think Pottery Barn Kids was selling it?

 D's room will definitely have a desk area, this is a good option if you are short on space.

 Love this room. What do you think of beds in front of windows? Weird? Cool?

Any advice? The biggest pain will be swapping all the paint colors but it also a cheap change. 

xoxo
K


2 comments:

  1. Sheeeeet...we could be best friends. Not only do I love every single inspiration photo (blue + orange is a marriage made in heaven, and THAT CRAB print!), and Julia Ryan's blog, but I also love F's current room - those curtains are perfect! I can't drink bourbon as it happens to be the first booze I got sick on while binge drinking, but I could just supply my own vodka when we drink together. Not the most helpful comment ever, but it's my way of saying: You're on the right track, and post pics when you're done!

    ReplyDelete