Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I Can't Read

Provence 2008. The last time I read a book and the last time I was skinny. 


Of course I can read. I just don't know when people find time to. Once I finally trek up to bed (anytime after 9:45) and as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out.

I used to read non-stop at the beach but now with a toddler and my magazine spreadsheet (yes, that happens...you can't get there with 4 issues of House Beautiful and no Veranda) I seem to never have time for books.

I'm still working my way through Still Alice but have come across several books that would be great beach options. 

In my quest to add more religion to my family I came across this book, Out of the Spin Cycle. What do you think? Here is an excerpt.



For all my camp buddies! The Interestings looks great!
An Amazon Best Book of the Month, April 2013: This knowing, generous and slyly sly new novel follows a group of teenagers who meet at a summer camp for artsy teens in 1974 and survive as friends through the competitions and realities of growing up. At its heart is Jules (nee Julie, she changes it that first summer to seem more sophisticated) Jacobson, an aspiring comic actress who comes to realize she’s got more creative temperament than talent; her almost boyfriend Ethan Figman, the true genius in the bunch (he’s a cartoonist); musician Jonah Bay, son of a famous Baez-ish folksinger; and the Wolf siblings, Ash and Goodman, attractive and mysterious. How these five circle each other, come together and break apart, makes for plenty of hilarious scenes and plenty of heartbreaking ones, too. A compelling coming of age story about five privileged kids, this is also a pitch-perfect tale about a particular generation and the era that spawned it. --Sara Nelson




Found this one through the Broke Girls Guide list. Looks intriguing. From Amazon...  “Julie Kavanagh ships us into 19th-century Paris and into the boudouir of Parisian courtesan Marie Duplessis.”
Vanity Fair


The leadership group at work has suggested we read this book. I've heard people talking about it but was clueless about the subject...
From Amazon.com...Thirty years after women became 50 percent of the college graduates in the United States, men still hold the vast majority of leadership positions in government and industry. This means that women’s voices are still not heard equally in the decisions that most affect our lives. In Lean In,Sheryl Sandberg examines why women’s progress in achieving leadership roles has stalled, explains the root causes, and offers compelling, commonsense solutions that can empower women to achieve their full potential. 


And last but not least...something to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. My friend AS suggested this book and I'm hoping it works with all the "No!" and "Not okay" and "I don't want it" phrases that have been flung at me lately.



An excerpt: By means of three easy-to-follow steps, parents learn to manage troublesome behavior, encourage good behavior, and strengthen the parent-child relationship—avoiding the "Talk-Persuade-Argue-Yell-Hit" syndrome which frustrates so many parents. Ten strategies for building a child’s self-esteem and the six types of testing and manipulation a parent can expect from the child are discussed, as well as tips on how to prevent homework arguments, make mealtimes more enjoyable, conduct effective family meetings, and encourage children to start doing their household chores. New advice about kids and technology and new illustrations bring this essential parenting companion completely up-to-date.

***That part in blue is exactly what my little guy is doing.

What are you reading this summer??

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I swear by Love and Logic; it worked wonders in our house!! I stayed up half the night to read it after one of those "it's them or me" days. As a matter of fact, this mom needs to re-read for a refresher ...

    ReplyDelete