Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas ideas for those with Alzheimer's


My typical shopping excursion for my Mom used to consist of a trip to Talbots, Gardener's Cottage in Asheville, Kate Spade and maybe J.Crew. 
But with her onset of Alzheimer's we are learning that we need to simplify simplify simplify. So her over abundance of clothing and jewelry does not help her make decisions in the morning and are both no longer good gift ideas.

This year I think the best gifts are ones that can bring her peace and happiness...

Here are the gifts my Mom will be getting under the tree!

Art
Angel Wings by Mary Kent Hearon from the Heart Knot.
My mom loves angel paintings. She has a few in her bedroom and quotes about angels throughout the house. She grew up a devout Catholic so I think the idea that someone is looking after her makes her feel safe. I LOVE this painting (the gold on the left) and almost want to buy the silver to hang as a pair! The best thing about this is Mary Kent is a Rockbrook Girl like myself. Shop local!!

Angel Painting by Sarah Boswell Holmes
Sarah is a friend of a friend and also paints Angels! Message me if you would like her contact info!

Acrylic Organizers

I'm going to spend the day after Christmas revamping her make-up. Mom had pink eye shadow under her eyes over Thanksgiving and while she was a good sport and giggled at her mistake I think eye shadow is not a necessity at this point. I want to have a section for face/eyes/lips. Just 1 lotion, 1 wrinkle cream, 1 concealer, 1 mascara and 1 lipstick. I have a handy dandy label maker I'll use with photos of each part of the face to help identify the product and this can rest on her dressing table

Music
Mom still loves to listen to music and soothing peaceful music is her favorite right now. She does still love some good ole rock and roll.




Pampering

I really really wish Asheville had a Blowdry bar. 
I hate doing my own hair and with her arthritis in her fingers it is just too cumbersome for mom to do her own. I bought her a package of two blow-drys from her favorite hairstylist. Dad is getting her a massage at the Biltmore Spa. Both things she needs!!!!

Magazines
Mom doesn't get to read anymore but she definitely likes to look at all the photos in magazines! The more pictures the better!

You can also shop from the Alzheimer's Association to give gifts that benefit the cause! And here is a good list of other good ideas for those with dementia.



Merry Christmas to you and yours!

xoxo
Katharine

1 comment:

  1. I've never really commented on a blog before but i just had to say that i think your gift ideas for someone with alzheimer's are wonderful. The fact that you are going to organize her make up for her is such a great idea. It does make sense to make all decisions easier for her. My grandmother has alzheimers so I understand what you are going through. Stay strong, you sound like a wonderful daughter. Your mom is lucky to have you all around her.

    ReplyDelete