Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mother's Day Gift Ideas-Alzheimer's Version



May is a pretty big month for us. My mother's birthday is May 3rd which is always Alumni Weekend at Christ School. This means she ends up celebrating with red beans and rice and all of my Dad's buddies.

Christ School Alumni Weekend this year. Mom (Husband Class of 66) Aunt Jennifer (Husband Class of 69)
Then the following weekend is always Mother's Day so she gets back-to-back celebrations.

Here are my picks for Miss BB. 

Mom Rule-She can't have any more earrings or necklaces. Bracelets are fine. She has too many earrings and when she loses one she gets really upset so they aren't a great gift anymore. This cuff is beautiful and would be easy to put on, no clasps!

Loose easy on/easy off clothes work the best for my Mom these days. The arthritis in her hands make it difficult to close pants with buttons/zippers/etc and this dress would pull on easily. 30% off with BRSPLURGE

Another perfect dress for BB. Easy to pull on and perfect to wear with her Jack Rogers or flip flops. We bought one similar to this last year from Ann Taylor Loft for her and she wore it tons!

BB is out of her favorite perfume and has been using whatever samples are in her drawer. Those are difficult to open and she loved this one at Nordstrom! (This was her Birthday gift from me!) ALZ Trick-Throw away the cap. 


Blankets and sweaters
We have always kept the house pretty chilly up in Asheville but I think Alzheimer's has made the cooler air more uncomfortable on Mom. These two picks would be perfect for her on cooler summer nights.

Softest Throw from West Elm $29


Sapphire Flame Cardigan from Anthropologie $128
(I kind of want this too!)

Plants, Pots, and Garden Items
These are always great items for my Mom. "Busy" projects like watering all of their plants bring her joy and make her feel useful. You can never have enough plants! She has had a green thumb all of her life and from the tiniest ferns to the biggest Ficus trees she takes care of them all!

Gorgeous blue and white pot from Surroundings
(Would also love this! You could fill it with all sorts of things, brushes, snacks, plants...etc)

Maidenhair Fern from Gardener's Cottage in Asheville

I think this will be the best gift idea for Mom this year. Similar to what I will be doing with her birthday card project but I will print out 20 pictures (immediate family members, Best friends, jazzercise girls) and have their names in bold big letters across the bottom of the photo. That way if she can't remember a name she has a book in her purse to help her communicate.

What are you getting your Moms this year? I'm so excited for my gift to arrive!!! 
I ordered the Kate Long Stevenson Hope Heals Art print "For James" for myself and cannot wait to hang it in my office. Gorgeous work Katie!

xoxo,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment