Thursday, September 11, 2014

Find the Boobs-Breastfeeding in Winter

I had my son in March and while it was still a tad chilly I got by most days with wrap dresses for work and button down shirts. Just like this:

With a due date in November now I'm wondering how in the hell my daughter will get to her dairy farm if I'm wearing 10 layers. I'm asauming nursing tanks and cardigans? Please let me know your favorite nursing tanks! I wore the Target ones and probably need a refresher.

I love open cardigans because you can toss them over dresses, other sweaters, tanks, etc and instantly have a fall outfit. I have a black one from Banana that has holes in it from being worn too much. Last year I finally found a camel colored one at...shocker...Banana again. I really wanted the Lilly Pulitzer camel one but it was $200+ cashmere and my Banana one has been great.

I also have a navy Lilly one and a hot pink J.Crew one I scored at the Asheville bin sale for $5. So while I'm not lacking my goal would to be to add maybe 2 or 3 more for this fall. I'm assuming my uniform is going to be black leggings, nursing tank, cardigan. Right? See, here's me in 2 months; freshly showered, clear skin, skinny legs. HA.

And moms...what were your favorite leggings post baby? I think Natalie said Spanxx are the best and I'm going to need that extra suckage from this diastasis.
**One thing to remember, make sure there is enough material to cover in front. I bought one last year that just doesn't pull all the way closed. Nursing tanks don't exactly hold their shape and I want to be able to cover up...ya know what I mean?

Here are a few I've had my eye on:

My girl Nat over at East Coast Chic and I have the exact same taste. Same maternity clothes, same curtains, and she also has a post about awesome open cardigans. She posted this one and although it's #nospendseptember and I'm joining her in #ecn30dayclosetremix I might have to order this. Carolina blue for the win during football season!

A bit pricey but I have a maternity cardigan from them and they are so so so soft. 

Looks a tad cheap but could brighten up my morning after 3 hours of sleep and spit up in my hair right?

I've never owned Zella gear but it might make me feel like exercising? Or at least washing my pump parts.

Again, trying not to spend this month but this is a steal. And the pockets would be great for tissues, wipes, nipple shields...all that sexy stuff. I think I'd order a size up to allow enough coverage. 

This cardigan was posted on Pink Peonies 
so it sold out like hotcakes and while this whole tribal aztec thing isn't normally my go-to I love the pink accents and again..maybe it will wake me up.

Is this cute? Or too Chico's looking?

I haven't set foot in Target (part of a #nospendseptember goal) but if I had seen this it would already be in my closet. Hmmm....I am out of cereal. Oh the torture. 

Gorgeous but I'd be scared of spit-up on that much money. Lilly, your models are looking a tad cheesy these days. Not her, just the styling.

I ordered these two things already in August during a sale and they are both fantastic. Remember, I also work from home so all these tops and hopefully some leggings will be my uniform M-F once I start working again. You know, after my super long maternity leave. (Insert sarcasm)


This is GONE from their site! If they made this in more colors I would have bought a ton. It has thick construction and the flaps move to the side for boob slots. This top looks almost a tad dressy so you could pair with jeans and boots/flats and some earrings and not feel like a slug. I am SHOCKED it is gone. Total bummer. Glad I snagged 1. And now I sound so pathetic and desperate over a nursing top. 

And speaking of Nursing Tops, Gap has these
But FFF (For Fucks' sake) this model looks like the damn walking dead and has a super creepy smile. Maybe they were trying to be realistic as to what us nursing moms will look like with a newborn but fix that chicks hair and make her look appealing! DAMN. If I was a stylist for a catalog I would show The Today Show on in the background, Starbucks in her hand and her surfing Instagram on the couch. I'd buy that shit in a heartbeat.

So you winter baby Moms. Any tricks on easy boob access with layers? (This post is going to be read by more men then women. Especially if I add the labels and keywords boob access)

Xo,
Tits McGehee

10 comments:

  1. Most of my nursing tanks were from Target or surprisingly Belk. I also was big on the cardigan look (SS was born in Jan)The scoop v-neck long sleeve t's and sweaters were also the jam from Target, because I could just put them under a cardi, but could also pump, nurse with them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is hilarious. I am due in November. It is my first and I have never even thought about the breast feeding situation in the winter. So many things to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Target ones but my friend who wears exclusively nursin tanks (no bras) is crazy about the pea in the pod ones. She likes the gap ones but they aren't always online. I like the pink accent cardigan too / and of course the Carolina blue one. There I one I pinned as a nursing cover that I'm searching eBay for - so far no luck. I also like the milkstars brand of double layer shirts. And the tanks are great under button downs - or popovers (jcrew's specialty).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for asking about how to cover up when you're breast feeding. I'm all for feeding your child in the most natural way but after having a family member who fed her child at our house at our dinner table in front our embarrassed guests, in a Mexican restaurant full of strangers, and in front of our much older family members-- despite being asked to go into the adjoining room-those of us who don't care to witness breast feeding moms, thank you. Respect goes both ways, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buy the Bravado nursing tanks I lived in mine they suck you in a bit too. I heard Heather's (RHNY)line Yummie Tummy also had some good nursing tanks but I loved the bravado ones. They are not cheap it will make you sad you spent that much money on a tank but I wore the shit out of mine. I bought white and black. ahh nursing its so hard.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great topic that's surprisingly hard to find out about... Especially for first time moms. I got two XL cardigans on sale from Old Navy for $8 each ... the key for me was they'd be long enough to cover the rear in leggings. Good thing "oversized" seems to be in! I ordered and really like Jcrew leggings- they're nice and thick and don't pouch- plus they're $30 something (couldn't stomach more for leggings!). If anything I'd say splurge on a tank or two. I used a Macys gift card for two pea in the pod tanks which are fine but don't dazzle. I also got a hooter hider giant nursing cover because I want privacy while I fumble with a solid latch lol. Report back!
    And did y'all decide on a babymoon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. FANTASTIC article. I just posted to all my social media sites!

    Katherine, are you on Pinterest, Twitter, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you know I love this post!! My son was born in June so I'm new to this whole winter nursing thing too. I plan to wear the exact same uniform of leggings, nursing tanks, and cardigans. I love the H&M one, that will be my first October purchase. I have two awesome oversized warm cardigans from Target that I've picked up over the last 2 years. Same style just different years. I plan to hunt for it in October. If I find it I will let you know. As for nursing tanks I think I wore Target ones and use wore some maternity ones that I could pull down. Everyone keeps telling me to search Zulily so maybe I will give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so Belly Bandit has these postpartum legging called the Mother Tucker. It is expensive but I wore my pair every single day. They suck you in and support your incision if you have a c-section. Also, I wore those with workout zip front tops a lot. Went with the sporty mom look- I mean nursing is the same as working out, right?

    ReplyDelete