Thursday, December 8, 2016

Seizures, Falls, and the Move to Skilled Nursing - An Update on BB

This past week makes us realize how lucky we have been for the past six months. 

BB has started having seizures and her falls have increased. She fell Friday and then again this Monday. Monday she rolled her ankle and then put all her weight on it and she ended up with a broken ankle.

Going to the hospital with Alzheimer's is difficult. She cannot alert people when she needs to use the restroom. She has no idea why she is there. Dad had to remind her every few minutes why she was there, where she was, etc. The surgery was successful and a plate and screw were put in for the time being.

With her broken ankle she will need to be moved to Skilled Nursing. The issue is there are no skilled nursing beds available. There is a bed in short-term skilled nursing which is available for 100 days. 

Headed to Skilled Nursing

The big BIG issue is we have to now give up her bed in the Alzheimer's Unit. Her home for the past six months. A place she is comfortable and has friends and routines.

100 days seems like a generous time for somebody to rehab from an injury but Mom cannot use a walker, she has lost most of her ability in he right arm. She shakes too badly and cannot grip anything. And forget about teaching her how to use a wheelchair.

Dad just called me saying they found her wandering the halls. On her broken ankle. This unit is not familiar to her and she is in a big room all alone. 

They want to put her in restraints. That news is a gut punch.

How can you help? I never know how to answer this question. All I can ask is that you pray that BB finds peace and comfort in her new spot. Pray she can rehab and walk again. Pray that there is a bed available in the Alzheimer's Unit when she CAN walk again. Pray for Dad. Visit her, send cards, stuffed animals, etc. 

I honestly didn't realize it could get worse.

Please Lord, Don't let my beautiful vibrant sweet Mother be one of those comatose people in wheelchairs in the hallway. 

I hate this disease.

5 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry. I've never commented on your posts before but I read often. My sweet, loving, wonderful father also has early onset ALZ (he is now 69). I can relate to everything you write and everything you are feeling. It is so isolating and overwhelming. I will include your mom and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Katharine, my heart is breaking for you, my darling beans, and beautiful Barbara. We love you all so very much and pray and think of you every day. This is really tough. Makes you wonder why; but there really is not an answer for why. God bless and keep you.

    Love, Kitten and all the Doyle / McLellans / Arandas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots of love and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh nooooo. I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers for you and your family girl.

    ReplyDelete